Monday, June 23, 2014

Daydreaming. It Pays Off.

You know those days when you inexplicably feel down and nothing can make you feel better but gorging in sweets and coffee? Yeah. I was having one of those days. And, I couldn't, for the life of me, decide where I wanted to mope. Then, I thought of this one book cafe. It was not a place I frequented but I supposed that was the point. It meant that there was a lower possibility of me encountering unwanted people. So, I decided to go there.

I'd sit in a corner and eat sweets and have coffee. And, this guy would approach me with a lame joke but I'd laugh, anyway. Because I'd like that. I'd like that he'd noticed that I was in a bad mood. I'd like that he'd have the guts to walk up to me despite said mood. I'd like that he'd care enough about a stranger to go through the embarrassing act of delivering a lame joke just for a chance to make me smile.

I'd like all of these about him. So, by extension, I'd like him. Enough so that I would let him share the table with me. And, he'd entertain me with witty comments about the world. Because really, who doesn't want a playful banter about the workings of our society. Especially if in the process of doing so, you get to blame everyone else for your failures. And, you know you're wrong and that your failures are your fault alone. But, it doesn't matter. Because, slowly you feel better about yourself. All because of a stranger. A stranger who, you realize, has not bothered to give you a name.

And, so he extends his hand to you and opens his mouth to speak his moniker-

"Para po!" I called out to the driver, signalling that I was to get off.

The public utility jeepney screeched to a stop and I quickly got off, relieved that I had managed to snap out of my daydream just in time to get off in front of the book cafe.

Yes, daydream. I love to daydream. To stare off into space and lock myself in LaLa Land and just imagine all the things I want to happen in my life. Daydreaming happens to be one of my favorite past times. But the thing about daydreaming is that you never expect it to happen in real life.

So, imagine my surprise when, as soon as I reached the top step to the book cafe, I saw his familiar face. In an instant, I felt all my problems disappear. And, for the love of all that is holy, I couldn't stop myself from grinning from ear to ear. But, who could blame me?

So, I took a seat and waited. Because, really, all that needed to happen next was for him to approach me. He never did, though. But, that couldn't dampen my spirits at that time. After all, I felt like my day dreaming has drawn him to me, somehow. I might not have gotten what I wanted. I got a long-time crush instead of a stranger. And, that was so much better. So, yeah. Daydreaming. It pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment